Sunday, July 19, 2009

Female orgasm and conception

Question:

Hi:

This might sound like a silly question, but here goes. My husband and I have been trying to conceive. A friend of mine recently told me that if a female has an orgasm either during or after the male ejaculates, this can improve the odds of conception as the contractions of the uterus that occur with orgasm help tip the cervix towards where the pooled sperm and propel the sperm into the uterus. However, she continued, if a female ejaculates before the male her vaginal fluid can actually harm her chances of getting pregnant. When my husband and I have intercourse, he will always allow me to reach orgasm first and only then will let go. I'm just wondering whether my friends' info is just an old wive's tale or is scientifically proven. Could the fact that I have an orgasm prior to my husband's ejaculation stopping us from conceiving? I enjoy my current sex life very much but would switch things up a bit if need be :)

Answer:

Hello,

I'm afraid your friend's recommendation is a new one for me. It is neither scientific nor logical. It is possible that orgasm would help with sperm motility into the cervix, by virtue of uterine contractions, but that is not a necessity. Many women do not have orgasm and still get pregnant. Also, the fluid within the vagina and cervix are conducive to sperm survival, if it is the appropriate time in the cycle.

My only recommendation is for you to continue to enjoy your sexual activity and technique. If you are trying to conceive then timing is the key, not position, climax or resting after. If you don't' achieve pregnancy by 1 year and have been timing the cycles well and ovulate, then something else is wrong. You should then seek an evaluation.

Interestingly, at the turn of the 20th century, doctors used to manually induce orgasm i.e. masturbate the patient, as a treatment for infertility, PMS and other female disorders. Of course, it didn't work too well so we don't do that anymore. Just thought you might enjoy that bit of trivia. :)

Sincerely,

Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails